Sunday, May 8, 2011

Music Visualization

When I was younger, I remember playing a around with winamp a lot.
For those who are not familiar with it, winamp is just a very comprehensive music player.
But one of my favorite features on this software is its music visualizations.

So what are music visualizations?
These music visualizations can look like many different things, depending on what the user created and intended to be.
They are usually created to provide some visual feedback from the musics you are playing with. Their purpose is not so much to provide information, but to create an aesthetic aid for the music. But in some ways or others it can be very informative.
Some can be very simplistic, having a line bouncing up and down depending what musical channel is hitting. Whether it be the treble or the bass channels.
Some can change or move depending on the beat, slower beats might have slower movement, while faster beats, faster reactions.
Some can even change colors due to the beat or even loudness.
Is really up for the user who created it, and that's what I like about winamp so much, because it easily allows the user to create any sort of music visualization to his or her liking.

Here's a sample of what a winamp's visualization can look like (with music of course):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wW1rtRUGU&feature=fvst

Here's even a page where people can download music visualizations that were created by other users:
http://www.winamp.com/visualizations/avs-presets/11/just-added/page/1

Softwares like iTunes and windows media player will have music visualizations as well, but I believe winamp's is the most comprehensive and the better one.

2 comments:

  1. I was a long time user of Winamp and I loved the visualizations they had! I remember one plugin actually allowed to to dynamically control the visualization. You could, for example, press certain keys on the keyboard and the colors of the waves would change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so cool! I never really thought of these as visualizations and I didn't know you could actually download packets of them. As a kid, that was one of my favorite parts of listening to music on the computer: playing with the different ways I could make the music LOOK. It gives another sense to listening to music - watching it.

    ReplyDelete